Exploring God's Call
Exploring God’s Call in Your Life
An Introduction to Exploring God's Call in Your Life
All of us are blessed with gifts and talents from God. Like seeds, they are already planted in our souls, waiting for the right conditions to support growth. As human beings created in God’s image, we have been given the capacity to grow into healers, peace-makers, advocates for justice, and active participants in building relationships that promote love and trust. The manifestation of God’s purposes on earth is dependent upon our willingness to acknowledge and use our gifts for this greater mission. As we follow Jesus, we experience times of clarity about our unique gifts, purpose or sense of ‘call’ from God. At other times, we have no idea what God’s call means for our daily lives. Struggle and restlessness may fill our souls as we wonder, wait and pray for guidance. It is at this very juncture that we need the support of Christian community to help us discern or discover the call that is particular to each one of us. How does this happen in the Episcopal Church of New Hampshire?
A year-long process for discernment of call
- Speak with your priest (clergy sponsor).
- Meet with Canon Tina Pickering or Bishop Hirschfeld.
- Begin meeting with a spiritual director.
- Clearness Committee: 6 months (Fall) Meet with Bishop Rob toward the end of this time.
- Regional Discernment Committee: 6 months (Winter/Spring) After 3 months, meet with Bishop Rob. Write a reflection/report for him.
- Complete discernment process and meet again with the Bishop and your clergy sponsor.
Create together the next steps that will support you in living more fully into your call as God’s beloved.
For a more complete description of our discernment and ordination process, please read our:
and see resources below.
For questions or more information please contact Canon Tina Pickering, Canon for Ministry Development, firstname.lastname@example.org or (603) 224-1914